How To Make Deer Sticks: All You Need To Know
Deer stick is a popular tasty snack which is available in stores or can be prepared at home. This crunchy snack is usually made from venison and other edible items that are mixed in the right proportion.
This type of snack always constitutes a healthy food habit among people. Such snack can easily satiate your hunger in the middle of any outdoor trip to keep you active and strong for a long period of time.
You can easily refresh the mood of your guests by knowing the basics of how to make deer sticks.
Methods To Be Observed During The Preparation Of The Deer Sticks
- Acquiring fresh and tender venison: The delicious taste of this highly popular snack usually depends on the quality and freshness of the deer meat.
So you first need to hunt down an older or young deer and then hang it above the ground using a rope or strap.
The hanging duration must be within 2-3 three days for the young deer and for the older one the hanging duration must be within 1 to 2 weeks to achieve the process of aging to ensure maximum tenderness of the venison.
You must hang the dead deer in a vertical position so as to nice bring out the meat and other edible body parts with the help of knife and other sharp instruments.
It is your responsibility to remove unwanted body parts of the deer carcass while piercing the body through screening.
- Use of other ingredients for mixing: For increasing the flavor of a deer stick, you need to add other items into the venison slices that include
- 3 tablespoons of coriander
- 5 tablespoons of ground sage
- ¾ cup of the red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons of anise seeds
- 1 cup of paprika
- 5 tablespoons of black peeper
- 1 cup of garlic salt
- and others.
Then you need to mix them properly with your hands or with the help of a long cooking handle.
For preserving the quality and taste of this deer stick, you can also apply the process of curing mix using preservatives like nitrates, nitrites, and others that also help to retard the growth of the bacteria.
- Using the appropriate utensils: While mixing and refrigerating the pieces of venison with other edible ingredients, you must use the container of stainless steel, glass or plastic to avoid harmful chemical reactions that will ultimately kill the quality and freshness of this crunchy snack forever.
Using the containers and pans of metals like aluminum can ultimately lead to the formation of acidic flavor that can produce an adverse impact upon the stomach.
At the same time, the venison comprising the mixed ingredients must be kept inside the fridge for three days to fully eliminate the presence of bacteria to prevent harmful effects on the human health.
You must continue adding the preservatives even during the time of refrigeration to form a protective layer from the external atmosphere.
- Using the grinder to obtain the sausage shape: Once you have bring out the container from the refrigerator, your first task is to avail the perfect sausage shapes out of these cold but firm slices.
For that, you can take help of devices like the meat grinder that comprises of sharp motor blades to easily carve out the sausage shape out of these frozen slices which were previously not in proper shapes.
This machine is quite ideal to handle any quantity of deer meat within the short period of time. The process must be repeated twice to ensure proper shape of these venison slices without leaving any scope of doubt.
- Dehydrating the deer sticks: Once you have obtained the sausage shape successfully now you must put more efforts and energy to bring out the container comprising of sausage venison slices that are mixed with different ingredients to ensure quality and taste.
Now you should place these slices of the deer meat into the cookie sheet or on the dehydrator tray containing oil to make it dry.
You can also place these sausage shaped slices of venison straightly into the warm surface of the meat smoker or on the flat surface of the cookie sheet.
No matter whether you are using a dehydrator or an oven, you should continue to rotate the heated pan to ensure complete dryness of the meat slice within 6 to 8 hours.
For drying these sticks the temperature level must be within the extent of 150 to 160 degrees of Fahrenheit.
You should never allow the temperature level to rise above the extent of 200 degrees Fahrenheit. You must loosely attach the lid of the pan so as to provide scope to the moisture to escape easily.
- Proper packing: Apart from serving the visiting guests, you can also make a great deal of money from the deer sticks.
For that, you need to thoroughly pack these roasted or fried sticks using air-sealed plastic cover to prevent the incursion of airborne particles and to withhold the freshness and yummy taste for a long period of time.
It is very much essential to concentrate on each and every step of packing or else customers will not prefer to purchase such snack from your store.
Once wrapping the food inside the plastic cover, you should them in a controlled-environment to avoid penetration of bacteria and other disease causing insects.
- Introducing new shapes and patterns: For seeking the attention of the guests and that of your partner you must produce these sticks in unique shapes and patterns to increase the level of mouth watering among people.
Introducing unique patterns and shapes will also help customers to obtain the unbeatable taste and flavor in a totally new manner.
These sticks are also becoming a vital component in many new food dishes across America and in other countries of the world. It has largely become possible due to the introduction of innovative and unique patterns of the venison sticks all over the world.
You can also add items like sauce, cream, and other tasty ingredients while making these sticks to help people in gaining a new and unbelievable experience of munching.
- Following the vital tips of cooking magazines: You can also refer to the pages of cooking magazines to gain more insight on the innovative and unique methods of preparing deer sticks.
Many beginners always refer to these sources to easily understand the dos and don’ts while making these tasty dishes.
If you have no clue on the use of ingredients and observing other methods, it is better to read the pages of magazines and other online blog posts to gain enough inputs.
This will help you in the preparation of a perfect deer stick which can greatly satisfy the hunger and soul of the guests to a great extent.
You can also view the posted videos in various online platforms to thoroughly observe the essential details which play a big role in the preparation of such a lovely snacks.
There is no point in spending money to deer sticks from the market when you are equipped with the proper methods and appropriate cooking items to manufacture this crunchy and yummy snack.
You must ignore the issue of tenderness which is very much essential to obtain the fun of unbeatable taste from this food dish. For this reason, you must concentrate to hunt down young deer so as to obtain the aging process within 2-3 days.
Many beginners often chop the carcass instantly which ultimately leads to the poor taste of the snack. But those who are sincerely following the above-mentioned guidelines as per the letter witness the success through admiration and positive feedbacks of the clients. You must never miss a single step otherwise, your entire effort will go in vain.